Chapter 22 of our player progression series is about clearing the Ice Beast in auto-mode with at least “Rank A” result.
The second step in acquiring materials for our Homunculus (Attack) is the Ice Beast. This time, the Ice Beast’s signature skill is the Freezing Roar so your team composition must have speed boosters to recover lost HP. Healers are not enough to sustain once your team is under Freezing Roar effect. Although Freezing Roar does not deal fatal damage, units like Bernard and Mav are beneficial to have in this dungeon.
Frankly, this dungeon is easier than the Fire Beast because you will be using core monsters from GB10 and ToA. The only challenge is completing your lineup with a non-fire (preferably wind) damage dealer. Notable farmable DD monsters are Tarq, Mao, Ardella, Argen, Arang, Theomars, Akhamamir, just to name a few.
Ice Beast Overview
Understand the Ice Beast’s mechanics will give us an idea to create an effective team. Let’s take a look and review the Ice Beast’s skill.
Attacks all enemies 2 times using its gigantic body to put the enemies under the [Freezing Air] effect under the freezing effect.
- ATB boosters and Speed buffers quickly recovers your allies from the Freezing effect to avoid getting frozen.
Grants [Freezing Air] Effect on all enemies with an ice roar. The [Freezing Air] Effect becomes stronger every time the Freezing roar is used. Freezing Air: 75% of the MAX HP will be frozen and all abilities will be lost. The frozen HP will be substantially recovered proportionate to the increased amount of Attack Bar. The damage you receive will increase proportionate to the frozen HP under the Freezing Air effect. As the Freezing Air effect becomes stronger, the frozen HP recovery will slow down.
- Both Heal and ATB recovery are equally important to counter this effect. Monsters with high base speed adds assurance for survival.
Attacks the enemies in the frontline 2 times with a sharp thorn. The damage increases substantially as the target’s Defense decreases. This attack will target the backline if there are no enemies left in the frontline.
- Minimize the damage by placing monsters with high DEF in the frontline (Bernard and Mav with at least 800 DEF)
Removes all beneficial effects on all enemies and attacks them 6 times with ice breath.
- This skill is cast at the end of the Ice Beast’s skill pattern mostly when your team struggles to quickly bring the boss to groggy state. Having a high damage nuke prevents this skill from being cast, most importantly before the 1st and 2nd groggy state.
Weakens the effect that inflict damage proportionate to the HP with a twisted power and gains immunity against all harmful effects. The immunity against all harmful effects will be removed during the Groggy State. Additionally, increases the damage received from wind monsters by 50% and increases the damage dealt to fire monsters by 50%.
- Wind damage dealers are highly favorable to use because of the additional 50% damage.
Conquering the Ice Beast in Auto-mode
You can alternately farm the Fire and Ice Beasts because the monsters used in both dungeons share the same stat requirement (Sigmarus and Mav). Farming this dungeon gives us Frozen Water Crystals and Condensed Magic Crystals, and our target is to get at least an A rank with the current monsters that we have.
Do remember that it is not necessary to kill the boss in order to gain crystal rewards. Player ranking is based on the amount of damage to the boss, as well as meeting certain conditions (for higher ranks). Defeating the boss outright will automatically award players an additional 500,000 damage to their total for ranking purposes.
Getting and A rank only requires bringing the boss to the second groggy state and achieving a damage of 1.6M. The trick is to bring a maximum of 3 utility supports (ATB booster, speedster, ATK buffer included), and the rest are damage dealers.
Getting an A rank usually gives an average of 6 Frozen Water Crystals. Since you only need 200 of these to summon the Homunculus, a total of 34 runs are needed to complete it. To be safe, you will need to do at least 40 runs when RNG is factored in.
Team Composition and stats
You need to bring Bernard and Mav (ATB booster and SPD buffer) to quickly recover your HP from the [Freezing Air] effect. The third utility is Colleen to simply provide an ATK buff and heal, however, you need to put her in the backline due to element disadvantage. Note that you may swap Colleen with Chasun or Hraesvelg if you have them. Now that we already have 3 utility monsters, complete the lineup with Damage Dealers to rack in some points during battle.
Utility (Speed buffer / ATB booster / ATK buffer): Bernard, Mav, Colleen
Damage Dealers: Sigmarus, Tarq, +1 (Preferably wind monster)
Ice Beast Video
*In this video, Dark Raksasha (Ran) was used to acquire additional ATK power from her lead skill. Units like Theomars, Akhamamir, or any wind nukers are far better than Ran in this dungeon.
Game Progression Guide
Key Monsters to Level Up / Upgrade:
- Equip Rage / Blade rune set on Sigmarus and keep your Critical Rate at least 70%.
- Collect Ifrit Summoning Pieces and summon Water or Fire Ifrit.
- Save 13 Devilmons in preparation for Homunculus (Attack) Skill-ups
NB10 and R3 improvements:
- All Monsters should be max-skilled
- NB10: Xiong Fei and other debuffers should have at least 45% Accuracy
- NB10: Lapis can be replaced for a legitimate damage dealer in Theomars or a SPD decrease debuffer like the Rakshasas.
- Upgrade these Glory Buildings to strengthen your stats in this order
- Sky Tribe Totem
- Ancient Sword
- Crystal Altar
- Fallen Ancient Guardian
- Use Grindstones and Enchanted Gems to improve your current runes.
- Farm for ideal 5* and 6* Rage and Will runes (At least Hero/Purple grade).
- Power-up to +15 on all your slots 4/6 6* runes.
- Power-up to +12 on all your slots 1/3/5 5* runes.
- Sell slots 4/6 5* Rage runes unless ATK% Hero grade with 2-3 ideal stats.
- Allocate crystals for energy refills.
- +15 your 6* main stat runes (2/4/6) especially SPD, HP% and ATK%.
- Keep an eye on 6* Hero and Legend runes on Magic Shop. Buy when it fits the desired stats.
- Remember to collect guaranteed crystals from defeating your rivals every time they are up.
- Collect rewards from events, they give plenty of resources.